The Trial Academy is…
- An interactive trial skills training program intended to improve advocacy skills. Collin County Judges, in conjunction with experienced attorneys, will lecture on and demonstrate the primary components of a trial. Participants will then practice their skills through live exercises.
Trial Academy Details
- It is mandatory that participants attend the following events:
- August 28th – Orientation – 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
- September 13th – Modules 1 & 2 – 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- September 27th – Modules 3 & 4 – 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- October 11th – Modules 5 & 6 – 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- October 15th – Graduation – 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
- October 18th – CCBA General Meeting – 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
- Topics include voir dire, opening statement, direct examination, cross-examination/expert examination, error preservation, and closing statement.
- The six Modules will each be 3.5 hours long (plus the lunch break) and will be approved for CLE credit.
- Cost is $250 (includes the case study materials)
- A certificate will be awarded at the October 15th Graduation event to those who complete at least five out of six module topics.
Trial Academy Participant Requirements
- Current member of the Collin County Bar Association (membership form may be found at www.collincountybar.org beginning July 1)
- Commitment to attend the trial academy dates listed above.
- Have practiced 7 years or less or be a new to Collin County.
Completed Application Forms must be returned to Teresa Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. on August 2, 2019.
Applications open June 21.